We are exited to welcome your child to the Haverhill Public School District. Whether they are starting school for the first time or transferring from another district, the Registration Department aims to make this a smooth and pleasant transition for your family.
- Students turning 5 years old on or before August 31st are eligible to register for kindergarten.
- Families moving to Haverhill, whose children were previously attending another school district, may register to have them transferred into the Haverhill Public Schools.
Registration begins with completing the Registration Application packet and all gathering all required documents. Then, you can book an appointment online to meet with a registration specialist to process your child’s enrollment.
Address Changes Due to In-District Moves
To process a student address change, begin by completing the Online Change of Address Request Form along with copies for proof of residency. Below are examples of acceptable forms of proof:
- Utility Bill with new address dated within the last 60 days (gas, electric, internet)
- Current Lease or Recent Mortgage Statement
Addresses will be changed only after all the required forms are received by the Registration Department. Families will be notified by email once the address change is updated and can choose next steps:
- Students can choose to finish the year in the same school, but the following year they must go to the school in their new address. Parents will need to provide transportation in this case.
- Students can transfer to the new school based on their new address and may be eligible for transportation.
If your child currently attends Haverhill Public Schools and you would like to request a change of school assignment, you must complete a Student Transfer Request Form. All requests will be reviewed on a space-available basis and responded to in writing.
The first round of decision letters are mailed mid-July and a second round mailed mid-August. The deadline to a submit transfer request is August 5th for the 2022-23 school year.
Please know that per the Haverhill School Committee ‘Assignment of Students to Schools’ Policy*, students will be required to attend school in the attendance area in which they reside, unless the Superintendent has granted special permission. Special permission may be granted for the following reasons:
- Change involves a hardship case or if there are medical considerations.
- Change appears to be in the interests of the child, of the schools, and for disciplinary and administrative reasons.
- The legal residence of a child changes from one attendance area to another during the school year and the parents wish the child to remain in his former school; permission will not extend beyond the current school year.
- To permit secondary school students to take courses not offered in their assigned schools.
*School bus transportation will not be provided for students attending schools outside their attendance area unless a hardship is involved; or unless specific permission is granted by the School Committee. SOURCE: MASC October 2016.