• In a shelter
  • In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
  • In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
  • Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship

Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act. Your eligible children have the right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.
    • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.

If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children.

Please contact Maria Maldonado Cruz at 978-420-1967  for more information about McKinney Vento services.

Family and Student Resources

Local Community Resources

The Haverhill Public Schools compiles and regularly updates these services and supports available to students and families. Please visit this link for information about meals and food pantries; emergency assistance with housing or clothing; social/emotional/therapeutic programs; and much more.

The City of Haverhill provides support and guidance to those in need. Simply call “311” to connect to City Hall.


State of Massachusetts

Dial “211” 24/7 to be connected to the state of Massachusetts and inquire about supports and services.


Resources from the National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)

NCHE: General Brochure

NCHE: Family/Parent Guide

School Help for Homeless Children with Disabilities: A Guide

If you are caring for a child with special needs, homelessness may be presenting even more challenges to make sure your child receives the help she/he needs. See this brochure for guidance and strategies.

Haverhill logo

Maria Maldonado Cruz

McKinney Vento Liaison