Haverhill Public School is closely monitoring communications from MDPH and the CDC in regard to Coronavirus. Based on current info, we know the following:
Parents are reminded that children with fevers/feeling unwell should be kept home until symptoms have resolved and child is fever free for at least 24 hours without medication that reduce temperature such as Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Motrin. School nurses will monitor children reported to feel unwell. If you are called to pick up an ill child, please remember that a child with a fever/vomiting/etc. must stay home the following school day as well.Below are the current informational resources from CDC:
- Virus can spread human to human
- Individuals can test positive even if having no symptoms
- No mutation of virus to date
- Transmission method not confirmed, though suspected to be respiratory droplets (coughing, sneezing)
- Exact incubation period still to be determined. CDC suggesting window of 2-14 days post exposure.
- Some individuals will present with common cold like symptoms, and others will have more severe symptoms which could result in death. Documentation of cases has been higher in elderly patients and older adults, but this may be more of a function of reporting, as those with mild symptoms may not present. Certainly those with other medical concerns, will be at higher risk.
- There is no vaccine.