VAPING/SUBSTANCE ABUSE: What you should know
Resources for the fight against vaping and e-cigarette use
- General Vaping Resources and Information
- For Parents and Educators
- For Teens Wanting to Quit
- Dr. Ruth Potee and Teen Brain Development”
What are the long term effects of vaping? Vaping surged among young people — many of whom never smoked cigarettes — growing 78% among high school students and 48% among middle school students in just one year, from 2017 to 2018, reaching epidemic proportions. JUUL, which accounts for three-quarters of the U.S. e-cigarette market, is driving the epidemic and has some of the highest nicotine content available among e-cigarettes. Read more at The Truth Initiative
Parents Against Vaping: Excellent overview and TOOLKIT about vaping
Make Smoking History; Dangers of Vaping: MA Department of Public Health
Emerging Tobacco Products; Truth Initiative, Inspiring Tobacco Free Lives;
Basic Information and E-Cigarettes, CDC, (Centers for Disease Control)
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
Drug Facts and E-Cigarettes; National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA),
Respiratory Illnesses Associated with Use of Vaping Products; New FDA web page
FOR PARENTS AND EDUCATORS
FOR TEENS TRYING TO QUIT
- Call your child’s school nurse or adjustment counselor for assistance.They will be happy to assist you. Haverhill High School 978-374-5734; or Consentino 978-374-5775, Hunking 978-374-5787 x101, Nettle (978) 374-5792, Tilton Upper 978-374-3482, or J.G. Whittier 978-374-5782.
- To get started, text “VapeFreeMass” to 88709, In partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, This is Quitting (powered by truth®), is a free and confidential texting program for young people who vape.
- My Life, My Quit TM has youth coach specialists trained to help young people by phone or text. Young people can call or text “Start My Quit” to 855-891-9989 for free and confidential help or visit mylifemyquit.com to sign up online.
- Visit teen.smokefree.gov for tools and tips.
- How to Quit Vaping, Become a Smoke Free Teen
Resources on How to Quit, The Truth Initiative,
DR. RUTH POTEE ON TWEEN & TEEN BRAIN DEVELOPMENT