Dear Haverhill families,
It is 5:00 p.m. Sunday and as promised I am updating you of our negotiation progress. Unfortunately, while both sides have compromised, the School Committee and HEA Teachers do not yet have a tentative agreement. As such, we are forced to cancel school for students tomorrow, Monday October 17, 2022. The day has been converted to a professional development day for all staff. Canceling school for students will require that we make up each day of lost learning time at the end of the school year.
Please know that conversations between the school committee and union are ongoing and that the negotiation team will be back at the bargaining table tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m.
As previously noted, the Haverhill YMCA and Boys and Girls Club of Greater Haverhill will be open on Monday, October 17 for children presently enrolled in their programs.
- Parents of children who are registered for before school or afterschool programs at the YMCA, will receive an email directly from the YMCA regarding childcare options, including a full-day program from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Haverhill YMCA.
- Parents of children who are not registered for before school or afterschool programs at the YMCA, but are enrolled in Haverhill Public Schools grades K – 4, can sign up for a drop in-program at the Plaistow Community YMCA, 175 Plaistow Road, Plaistow NH from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Pre-registration is required in advance. Please use this link to sign up.
- Haverhill school students who are members of the Haverhill Boys and Girls Club are welcome to drop in to the club anytime on Oct. 17 between 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
We are committed to providing access to the nutrition our students need during this possible closure. We have worked with Food Services to support students with access to a free school lunch for Monday and breakfast for Tuesday for all children age 18 and under from 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- The Haverhill YMCA, 81 Winter Street
- The Boys and Girls Club of Greater Haverhill, 55 Emerson Street
- Swasey Field Park, 59 Blaisdell Street
- Haverhill Stadium, Lincoln and Nettleton
- Haverhill Public Works Department – Parking Lot, 500 Primrose Street
- Winnekenni Castle – Tennis courts – 347 Kenoza Avenue
- Bradford Commons
- Cashmans Park on Hilldale
I am hopeful that this strike will be brief and that we will be back in our classrooms on Tuesday.