Curriculum Department @ Crowell School
26 Belmont Ave, Haverhill, MA 01830 | Office Hours 8:00-4:00 | Phone (978) 374-3473
The Haverhill Public Schools Mathematics Program will provide all students with high quality math instruction that addresses the MA 2017 massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Framework and meets students’ individual needs. Students will explore a balance between mathematical procedures, applications to real-world scenarios, and conceptual understanding.
- Engage students in meaningful tasks and rich discussions that develop curiosity and understanding of the mathematics
- Use technology to enhance mathematics curriculum, build a rich learning environment, and enable students to explore and communicate mathematical ideas more effectively
- Utilize a range of assessments to monitor students’ learning and provide the basis for determining the best instructional strategies, so all students become proficient in mathematics.
Haverhill Public Schools’ mathematics teachers are committed to maintaining high standards and encouraging all students to participate in academically challenging courses that will prepare them for college and 21st century careers.
Supervisor of Mathematics
As outlined in the Standards of Mathematical Practice (pp. 16-18, MA Mathematics Curriculum Framework), students from kindergarten through high school will learn to:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
Elementary (K-5) Mathematics:
enVision MATH … A standards-based curriculum that engages students in a visually-stimulating, technology-rich, and problem solving format that emphasizes both computational fluency and reasoning in mathematics and supports a range of learners.
You can access the text, digital resources, tasks assigned by your child’s teacher, and resources to support your child’s day-to-day math learning …
- Go to the HPS LaunchPad.
- Click on the Pearson Easy Bridge icon.
- Sign in using your child’s username and password that has been provided by your child’s teacher.
All students have been given several opportunities to use the enVision online resources during their math classes. Online resources include the student text, Another Look videos, games, and digital math tools.
Middle School (6-8) Mathematics:
Big Ideas MATH … This program engages students in active learning and in-depth investigations of major mathematical concepts, incorporates instructional technology as an integral part of instruction, and includes a balance of conceptual understanding, problem solving, and procedural skills.
Parents can go to www.bigideasmath.com and under the Dynamic Student Edition heading, login with their student’s username and password.
Mathematics at Haverhill High School:
Whether a student is planning to attend college or move into the workplace, a sound mathematical background is necessary. HHS offers a full array of courses, ranging from the core Algebra and Geometry classes to Calculus, Computer Science, and Probability & Statistics. The goal is to have all students achieve mathematical competence through a strong program that emphasizes reasoning, communication skills, problem solving, and technological literacy.
Tutoring during the school day, Math Support classes (grades 9 & 10), and after school extra help sessions are available to support students in all math classes.
The core curriculum is supported with the following curriculum resources:
- Algebra 1 and Algebra 2: Big Ideas. Students and parents can go to bigideasmath.com to access the student text, a Skills Review Handbook, a Game Closet, and the Student Journals (which have also been distributed to students).
- Geometry: a combination of College Preparatory Math (CPM) and Houghton Mifflin Geometry. Teachers have provided students with access to either or both resources.
- Pre-Calculus and Calculus: College Preparatory Math (CPM). Teachers have provided all students with access to the online text and supporting resources.