4 Summer St., Rm 104, Haverhill, MA 01830 | Office Hours 8:00-4:00 | Phone (978) 374-5740 | Fax (978) 373-1535
The Haverhill Public Schools Mathematics Program will provide all students with high quality math instruction that addresses the MA Mathematics Curriculum Framework and meets students’ individual needs. Students will explore a balance between mathematical procedures, applications to real-world scenarios, and conceptual understanding.
- Engage students in meaningful tasks and rich discussions that develop curiosity and understanding of the mathematics
- Use technology to enhance mathematics curriculum, build a rich learning environment, and enable students to explore and communicate mathematical ideas more effectively
- Utilize a range of assessments to monitor students’ learning and provide the basis for determining the best instructional strategies, so all students become proficient in mathematics.
Haverhill Public Schools’ mathematics teachers are committed to maintaining high standards and encouraging all students to participate in academically challenging courses that will prepare them for college and 21st century careers.
Supervisor of Mathematics
As outlined in the Standards of Mathematical Practice (p.15, MA Mathematics Curriculum Framework), students from kindergarten through high school will learn to:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Use reasoning skills to make sense of quantities
- Analyze mathematical situations and critique the reasoning of others
- Apply mathematics to solve problems in everyday life
- Use mathematical tools (calculators, manipulatives, visual models, measurement instruments) strategically to deepen understanding of concepts
- Communicate their mathematical understandings clearly and precisely
- Look for and make sense of patterns in mathematics
- Use the details and repetition in their work to see generalizations in math processes.
Elementary (K-5) Mathematics:
enVision MATH … A standards-based curriculum that engages students in a visually-stimulating, technology-rich, and problem solving format that emphasizes both computational fluency and reasoning in mathematics and supports a range of learners To view the text and digital resources, go to www.envisionmath.com.
To access resources that support your child’s day-to-day learning in the classroom, go to http://www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and use your child’s user name and password.
Middle School (6-8) Mathematics:
Big Ideas MATH … This program engages students in active learning and
in-depth investigations of major mathematical concepts, incorporates instructional technology as an integral part of instruction, and includes a balance of conceptual understanding, problem solving, and procedural skills.
Parents can go to www.bigideasmath.com and under the Dynamic Student Edition heading, login with their student’s username and password.
Mathematics at Haverhill High School:
Whether a student is planning to attend college or move into the workplace, a sound mathematical background is necessary. HHS offers a full array of courses, ranging from the core Algebra and Geometry classes to Calculus, Computer Science, and Probability & Statistics. The goal is to have all students achieve mathematical competence through a strong program that emphasizes reasoning, communication skills, problem solving, and technological literacy.